Monday, July 13, 2015

No Joy without Sadness: Thoughts After "Inside Out"

 

 

Growing up is hard work. Everything started out simple and easy-going. You do what makes you happy. You are loved on by those around you. But growing up is a bumpy road where we encounter conflicted feelings that are hard to process. It's no exception for Riley, a young midwestern girl who is uprooted from her home to move to San Francisco with her family. To guide Riley are her emotions -- Joy, Fear, Anger, Disgust and Sadness. The emotions operate from the control center inside Riley's mind, where they help her through everyday life. Each has a role to play in protecting and providing for Riley. Joy has been helping out the most since Riley was born. As Riley and her emotions struggle to adjust to the new house, school, and friends, things start to get out of hand. Sadness, who Joy really doesn't really understand, starts acting out. The emotions must learn some new things if they are going to help Riley through this tough time in her life.

 

Check out the Trailer!

Warning! Spoilers Ahead!

 

 

Why I loved It

This movie was so beautifully done. Everything is so centered on the emotions of this little girl as she goes through a transition in her life I'm sure almost everyone can identify with. It's so human and I could identify with the girl throughout the whole story. I have a little sister who is about Riley's age so I was even more affected by the ups and downs Riley experienced. I'm not going to lie, at the end of the movie I cried. Yes. I cried because I'd been where Riley was. So confused and torn up inside and just reaching out in sadness to find comfort. (*struggles to keep from crying all over again*) This movie moved me and it should move you too!

The movie had one lesson that I just have to share. At the start of the story Joy admitted she didn't really know why Sadness was there. Anger, Fear, and Disgust all seemed to have roles that revolved around helping their girl. Sadness....only seemed to mess up Joy's good memories. However, over the course of their adventure together Joy comes to see that Sadness is a part of life. Without sadness other people can't see what's wrong and help you. Sadness essentially helps the girl to grow through confusing or dissapointing times in her life. In a way I think Sadness represented the ability of Riley to learn and mature. Joy learns that Riley needs Sadness just as much as she needs Joy to be a happy, healthy little girl. So Sweet.

On another note, this movie was impeccably clean. Not squeaky clean since there was an allusion to the use of swear words. But other than that it was clear of crude language, adult situations, and other things of the sort. Some of the images might be a bit scary for younger children. Especially if they have a fear of clowns. Not kidding, even I was creeped out by the clown in the movie!

Overall I loved the heart-warming feel of the movie. It's all fuzzy and meaningful. Go see it already!

 

 

Also...This Short!

 

 

Oh. My. Gosh. This Pixar Short came on in the theater right before the feature presentation started. At first I thought, "Okay, it's gonna be some cute short about some tropical bird or fish doing something mildly amusing." Little did I know it was a microcosm for the SWEETEST LOVE STORY EVER! Sorry about the caps, I don't know what happened to me just then. Somehow when I turned twenty my insides turned to sentimental mush. But I'm not joking! This Pixar Short is seriously one of the sweetest things I've seen in a long time! Almost as sweet as the love story in UP. (Without the tears at the end. Thank Goodness!) So this will be my little happy tidbit at the end for you. Check out the song and tell me it's not the sweetest things you've ever heard!

 

 

 

See? You've got diabetes and cavities from all that sweetness now don't you? Who else has seen "Lava" or "Inside Out?" What were your favorite or least-favorite parts? I'd love to hear what you think so don't forget to comment below!

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm very eager to hear your thoughts or questions. Please use the comment section to encourage good conversation for curious readers and fellow writers. Thank you for commenting! I try to reply to most comments so make sure to check back!