Monday, June 29, 2015

Monthly Highlights: June 2015

 

Hello Everyone! How has everyone's month of blogging, writing, and being awesome been going? The purpose of these monthly highlights is to help me and you get the bigger picture of what's been going on this month. If don't make the habit of following Forgotten Featherpen (which you should) you can come here to check out the highlights of what's been going on in the blog, my writing projects, and life in general. So let's get started!

 

First off, did every have a good National Donut Day?? I did! I can't remember the last time I actually made a decision to go out and eat a donut. It's just not normal behavior for me. Then Mom suggested I take my brother and two youngest siblings out for a day of adventure to get those free donuts. Turns out...they're not "Free". You have to buy a drink too. That part wasn't fun, but the donuts were fantastic! Who else enjoyed National Donut Day to it's fullest?

 

 

 

 

Yay for posting every week this month! Between school and life I had a little trouble with post ideas. But thanks to a bank of topic ideas and some nice Link-Ups I managed pretty well.

 

Recent Articles


- The Creative Blogger Award (a late edition from May)

- Top Ten Books I'd Love to See as Movies (part of the Top Ten Tuesday Tag)

- What Anime taught me about Memorable Characters

- Running to Finish, Still not Enough (in which I ramble)

- The Research Chronicles: June 2015 (a fun research-related link up!)

 

So this month I've kinda been going over how my hobbies have shaped my perspectives as a creative writer. It's been a light-hearted month for the most part. But I am a hopeful writer of historical fiction, so next month I hope to spend more time posting about my interests in ancient history. Hopefully, I'll introduce y'all to the accessibility of this seeming dry topic. I can make history fun, I promise!

 

 

 

 

 

I mentioned last month that I started on a full college class load this summer. Well it's really been biting into my time so I'm learning the hard lessons of how to balance my writing and other hobbies with a full school schedule. I can't wait to see what my schedule will be like on an actual college campus!

 

One of the upsides to my classes this semester has been my American Literature class. I'm reading so many fantastic autobiographies, essays, and short stories! I see a lot of people doing lists of books that they're reading. Well I have a crazy long list of amazing literature that I've been reading thanks to this class I wonder how many of you have read Uncle Tom's Cabin? Who's heard of the Blithedale Romance? Just sayin, that book deserves to be made into an incredible movie! And the Philosophy of Composition by Edgar Allen Poe is something every writer should read I think. It was very insightful. Here a list of some of the other amazing things I've been reading this month:

 

The Raven by Poe

Ligeia by Poe

The Philosophy of Composition by Poe

The American Scholar by Emerson

Self Reliance by Emerson

Woman in the Nineteenth Century by Margaret Fuller

Selections from Uncle Tom's Cabin by Stowe

Civil Disobedience by Thoreau

Walden by Thoreau

Selections from Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl by Jacobs

The Blithedale Romance by Hawthorne

Narrative of the Life of Fredrick Douglass by Douglass

 

 

I've also been given the oppurtunity to provide a creative response to my American Literature and Western Thought and Culture classes. I decided on two companion paintings. Each will be representing a perspective that I've picked up from the classes. This month I did the creative response for Western Thought and Culture. I call it "Culture's Modern Priest." You can see the progression from sketch to finished product below.

 

 

 

That about wraps it up for the highlights for this month! Before I lose you, check out some of my favorite posts from other bloggers this month. Enjoy! And thanks for stopping my for the highlights this month.

 

Posts I've read:


- The Difference between Heroes and Protagonists @ Writer and Proud

- 9 1/2 Ways to get to know your Character @ Writer and Proud

- Dream Chaser @ Of Battles, Dragons, and Swords of Adamant

- Why I Don't Tell People I'm a Writer @ Pages from My Journal

 

 

 

 

 

 

4 comments:

  1. This is my first time on your blog, so this was a perfect post to start with! Great idea for the end of the month update.

    I'm curious to hear about what you have to say about Ancient History. In the Fall semester I took an Ancient History course and it was really interesting. It's not where my love lies, but I'm always pleasantly surprised with how much I enjoy studying it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sunny! I'm so glad your first visit here was a good one. I love new visitors who comment. Makes me so happy. :) I adore ancient history. I study all sorts of different cultures as a hobby but lately I've been keeping my research focused on ancient men like what we commonly call cavemen. I hope to hear your thoughts when I post articles about it! Thanks so much for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Whoa! Cool painting. ^ ^ A fellow artist. That reading list seems fun! I love "The Raven." ^ ^

    storitorigrace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! :) And I get to paint his companion this month, I'm so excited! I'll likely post pictures of that one as well. My favorite from that list had to be Blithedale. Such an amazing work!

      Delete

I'm very eager to hear your thoughts or questions. Please use the comment section to encourage good conversation for curious readers and fellow writers. Thank you for commenting! I try to reply to most comments so make sure to check back!